Friday, July 23, 2010

Why Homeschool?

Hi I'm Reinel a homeschooler of Catholic Filipino Academy. This is my 3rd year and I'm in my 5th grade. You may be wondering why my parents decided to bring me into homeschooling. Simply because they want the BEST for me.

I did not find it very difficult to adjust to the new environment. I guess because there was a time when I told my Mami that I didn't want to go to school anymore. That was very alarming for my parents especially to my mother since my father is an OFW.

I am so blessed to have very understanding parents. They asked me what was wrong. I couldn't tell the details but all I know I hated most of my classmates who teased me and treated me like jerk. My mother would always tell not to get affected because they were just jealous of my handsome look...ahem. But honestly, I was terribly lonely during my school days. It was difficult to find real good friends. I would always remember my parents' advice that I have to learn to choose the right friends. Although I got 2 good friends during my school days, but I was surrounded more with bullies.

I remember there was a time I would prefer to stay in the guidance councilor's office just to avoid those bullies. I could not remember anymore how many times did my Mami went to the office to speak with my advicer and guidance councilor. I knew she was terribly hurt as well on how other children would treat me.

The situation worsen when my grades started to go down. My private tutor had the same observation with my Mami, that my academic performance at home did not match with my performance in school.

Unaware of my mother's plan, she was considering already homeschooling that time. But it took a year for my parents to have mutual decision of sending me to homeschooling.

My mother is a member of Kerygma family founded by Bo Sanchez. Joining this community opened the door for us to try homeschooling.

I am aware of the advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling. We continously discuss as a family on how we will overcome the "not so good" about homeschooling and enjoy the priviledges of being one.

I don't say the homeschooling is better than traditional school. But I am so lucky that I am given this priviledge to be a homeschooler. On my 6th grade, I will go back to the traditional since I am staying now with my Dadi who is an OFW in Riyadh.

Since this will be my last year in homeschooling, I would like to enjoy its full benefits and share my learning experiences while here in Riyadh through blogging. Thanks to my Mami for introducing this to me.

As my Mami and Dadi would always say ..."Bringing our son to homeschool is indeed one of the best decision we ever made for the family."

No comments:

Post a Comment